Sunday, August 21, 2011

Small Victory

I managed to fall asleep at around 1:30 in the morning for about an hour and a half. It was one of those short stints of sleep where you wake up and haven't even realized that you've been asleep. Of course that didn't stop me from be up ever since. But hell I fell asleep! I mean, at a normal hour. Okay I wasn't asleep long but it's something!

After I finish this I'm going to try sleeping again for a little while. I have to be at my parent's house for dinner today. Dad's really worried about Mom and as usual he's in hyper-control freak mode. Like Mom's lung is going to grow more cancer if he's not at her side. I should back up. More than 10 years ago my mother had breast cancer. I was just a teenager at the time so I pretty much ignored it. She got better and the doctors have watched her closely ever since and this year they found something.

It's hard to get an accurate picture from my parents. Don't get me wrong. I love them. Really. It's just that my mother isn't exactly what you'd call the sharpest knife in the drawer. She sort of wanders through life with her head in the clouds or jammed into the sand. She has two states of mind. Either she's oblivious or she's ignoring something. Medical jargon isn't exactly something she even attempts to figure out. To make matters worse, my father doesn't pay attention to really what the doctors are saying. He's all into hidden meanings my father... how was it said... in what tone of voice... why this word was placed by this one. In fact, since they've found this spot on my Mom's lung, all my Dad keeps asking me is "What do you think he really means by he's taking a subtle approach?" And all my Mom can keep asking me is what the word "subtle" means and why isn't it spelled the way it sounds. I'm in the dark and have no idea what's going on because nothing that comes out of their mouths makes any sense.

Which reminds me I have to warn my husband about the whole "subtle" thing because they'll be bothering him about that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment